Your train was delayed, there was a massive line at the coffee shop and you’re running late for your fifth meeting of the day we think you need a day trip … it’s time to escape the busy London lifestyle for a day and treat yourself to the day trip of your dreams. But how? I hear you ask… Never fear, here at Wingly we’ve got you covered, with our step by step guide on how to escape London.
This how-to guide will show you how you can get from the centre of London to a variety of popular Wingly destinations to enjoy lunch in France, a walk along the British coastline, or see breathtaking views from the sky.
To keep prices low, for you and the pilots, we don’t fly from big international airports such as Heathrow or Gatwick, we fly from smaller airfields surrounding London like Blackbushe, Fairoaks or Stapleford. Not heard of these? Don’t worry, below we have the address, route by car and public transport to ensure that you can make the most of your quick day trip, without the hassle.
Address: Denham UB9 5DN
- 40 mins via A40
- Train (London Marylebone – Denham) 25 mins & Uber / Taxi (Denham Station – Denham Aerodrome) 6 mins
Destination: Dublin, Ireland – Located in the St. James’ Gate Brewery, the Guinness Storehouse Factory is one of Dublin’s most popular tourist destinations. You can take a tour through seven floors of Irish brewing history, learn about the Guinness family and how they craft their delicious stout.
Address: Camberley GU17 9LQ
- 55mins via M3
- Train (Paddington Station – Reading) 24 mins, Train (Reading – Blackwater) 21 mins & Uber / Taxi (Blackwater – Blackbushe Airport) 8 mins
Destination: Ostend, Belgium – The TAZ Festival takes place in Oostende in August every year. It is an incredible opportunity for art and culture lovers to experience the best of what Belgium has to offer in terms of dance, music and theatre.
White Waltham Airfield
Address: Maidenhead SL6 3NJ
- 45 mins via M4
- Train (Paddington – Maidenhead) 43 mins & Uber / Taxi (Maidenhead – White Waltham Airfield) 9 mins
Destination: Jersey – Give the incredible St Brelade’s Bay a visit. This amazing stretch of the coast is one of the best beaches in Jersey. For some beach time fun for all the family where you can swim, build sandcastles of have a lovely picnic.
Address: Surrey GU24 8HU
- 50 mins via M4 & M25
- Train (London Waterloo – Woking) 23 mins & Uber / Taxi (Woking – Fairoaks Airport) 11 mins
Destination: Isles of Scilly – Enjoy an active day out in St. Mary’s by heading over to The Siling Centre and have a go at some exciting watersports such as windsurfing, sailing, powerboating & kayaking!
North Weald Airfield
Address: North Weald CM16 6HR
- 45 mins via M11
- Underground (District Line from Cannon Street – Mile End Station) 12 mins, Underground (Central Line from Mile End Station – Epping) 29 mins & Uber / Taxi (Epping – North Weald Airfield) 13 mins
Destination: Le Touquet, France – Rue St. Jean, is a goldmine for travellers. This beautiful street is full of shops, cafés and little market stalls. Pick up a souvenir, grab a bite to eat or simply sit a sip a café au lait.
Address: Romford RM4 1SJ
- 40 mins via North Circular
- Train (Liverpool Street Station – Romford) 26 mins & Uber / Taxi (Romford – Stapleford Aerodrome) 21 mins
Destination: Isle of Wight – The Needles Landmark Attraction, has a range of attractions including the spectacular chairlift ride to the beach and the sand cliffs. There is also a sand shop where you can get in touch with your creative side and make a personalised sand souvenir!
Wycombe Air Park
Address: Marlow SL7 3DP
- 50 mins via 40 & M40
- Train (London Marylebone – High Wycombe) 40 mins & Uber / Taxi (High Wycombe – Wycombe Air Park) 15 mins
Destination: Portsmouth – Hovercraft museum, browse around an incredible collection of over 60 Hovercraft including James Bond, Scrap Heap Challenge, military, racing, commercial, home builds, models, and archives.
Address: Redhill RH1 5YP
- 1hr 5mins via A23
- Thames Link (London Bridge – Redhill) 29 mins & Uber / Taxi (Redhill Station – Redhill Aerodrome) 10 mins
Destination: Sightseeing flight – Discover the breathtaking views of South Coast in an extraordinary way, by air. Make sure to have your camera handy, you’ll definitely want to show off these unique snaps on Instagram!